There are lots of reasons we may wish to have a Yoni or V-STEAM: and do these safely in your own home using this guidance.
‘Yoni’ : Sanskrit for the sacred womb, vagina and vulva.
Feminine power is within each of us and cultivate self care practices to re-nurture ourselves using simple guidance from women’s health guidance practitioners : NourishYin
Yoni Steams – DIY for better flowing Menstruation
Yoni Steams :
- helps clear the stagnant brown menstrual blood from the beginning or end of a cycle
- Dysmenorrhea – also known as ‘painful periods’ or menstrual cramps, and the key notes are pain during menstruation and mostly happens during the onset or time of he month! when menstruation begins. These Symptoms typically last for up to three days and the pain is located in the pelvis, lower abdomen or ovaries
- Irregular periods -Your periods may come early or later each month causing a dis-regulation of hormones and ‘menstruality’ cycles
- Stop and start periods – irregular flow during a bleed
- Endometriosis – occurs when endometrial tissue grows on your ovaries, bowel, and tissues lining your pelvis leading to the experience of intense pain and discomfort.
- Vaginal disorders – Yeast infections and other vaginal bacteria-Vaginal dryness and painful intercours- Vaginismus – herbs aid relaxation and routes of ellimination.
Steaming can support Natural Fertility
- Increases cervical mucus – Encourages the vaginal canal and cervix and nourishes and tonifies the uterine and its lining
When to avoid Yoni and V-Steams
- If pregnant
- After ovulation (if you are actively trying to conceive naturally)
- During your period – and if bleeding is heavy
- If you have a infection or vaginal sores or blisters.
What you can use for your home DIY Steam :
A large stainless steel pan / pot
2 litres of Purified Water
A blanket or shawl.
Your selected dry or fresh herbs – 50gm will be sufficient for each stream
- Place the pot on the stove – covered pot, pour 8 cups of water ( approx 2 litres of purified water ).
- Place a handful of fresh herb(s) or 1/4 cup dried into the water.
- Do not add or use any “essential oils” as they are too strong and may burn sensitive genital tissue.
- Bring the water to a soft boil then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn of the heat, leave the lid on, and steep for another 5 minutes with the lid on.
- It is very important to test the temperature of the steam before using it. If it is too hot wait 15 seconds and test it again until it feels comfortably warm to steam with.
- place the pot over the toilet or yoni stream seat – pour in 4 cups (half) of water into the bowl you have placed in your toile/ stream seat.
- Check holding your hand 8-10 inches above the herbal water to test the heat- make sure it is not too hot.
- Sit on the seat above the steaming water .
- You may wish to drape a large blanket or sheet around your waist down to the floor in order to keep the moisture and retain the steam.
- Keep warm, Wear socks on your feet .
- You should feel a warm heat, for about 10-12 minutes and should sit comfortably . Listen to something you enjoy while you sit.
- When the steam dies step off the toilet.
- Dry off and lie down for a further 20 mins on a bed. If you wish to do the treatment again – do not flush the contents away – simply reheat and start again from step 4 above. This can be done if the water has cooled down – in which case you can reheat again.
- You can keep the blend and store it in a glass jar for another use. Use within 4 days.
Different Yoni Blends and why use them
This practice has been done for centuries in indigenous cultures. Yoni Steaming is a great tonic for the uterus – I first used these after the birth of my daughter 20 years ago and it helped my healing after a homebirth. Since then, I have used it often and support awareness amongst women of this beautiful self care practice for reharmonizing our bodies.
The blend below is Rose, Yarrow, Mugwort, Chamomile, Rosemary, Marigold.
Chamomile and Rose are cleansing herbs, and help to heal wounds including vaginal yeast and other infections.
Mugwort is a blood cleanser and also helps if you have a heavy flow and a energic herb, Ginger root reduces gas and improves digestion and supports a healthy ovulation. Lavender and Calendula are also deep cleansers and support the bodies ability for relaxation.
What age is it safe to steam?
The answer is from late teens and throughout life including the menopause
It is safe to steam from the day after the last day of your period for cleansing the uterus by helping it release any remaining or stagnate blood. A Yoni steam Improves circulation and improves the tone of the uterus.
By steaming in the week leading up to your period can help with cramps and other menstrual complaints if this is something you suffer with.
Why we should not steam during bleeding days.
Although the practice of yoni steaming is a beautiful, introspective ritual which can be incorporated as part a monthly or bi-monthly self-care routine. Vaginal tissue is very absorbent and rich in blood supply, so the medicinal properties of the herbs used in a steam can directly enter the bloodstream and heal the womb & uterus
Yoni Steaming can reduce pain and bloating around menstruation.
It can also decrease menstrual flow to make it smooth & even and regulate the menstrual cycle, or help bring back a absent cycle.It Increases fertility chances as helps improve circulation and the blood supply to visceral synapses. Used in conjunction with a Womb/ Fertility Massage, not only ‘Heals but tones the reproductive system and after giving birth..
V Steaming can reduce pain from uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, uterine weakness, including uterine prolapse or endometriosis.
Emotional healing from past pain and trauma abdominal massage can be supported with Fertility Womb Massage and Healing which both help release Emotions & begins the healing from past pain and trauma. I would recommend a regular massage for any woman as a helpful restorative practice for any woman.
Motherwort – supports female reproductive health and an amazing tonic for the uterus. It can stop heavy bleeding and can be used for other heart related issues including reducing blood pressure.
Red raspberry leaf helps blood and has a soothing effect on the uterine muscles and can prepare the uterus against any kind of early miscarriage as it strengthens the uterine wall. The leaves are known as beneficial to the embryo with attaching to the uterine wall. Yarrow is also another herb which is helpful to uterus strengthening and used as in traditional Chinese medicine to strengthen the uterus. Calendula can help stabilise oestrogen and helpful to many endo related conditions such as PCOS and Fibroids.
Calendula has an amazing tonifying effect on the uterine muscles and aids re balancing of oestrogen hormones that are responsible for PCOS and uterine fibroids.
It has also been trusted in the treatment of cysts. Calendula infusions were used in folklore remedy for fostering uterine contractions and the discharge of placenta during childbirth.
These herbs are also highly supportive to the functions of the female reproductive related issues such as irregular bleeds and menstruation, uterine fibroids, frigidity, ovarian cysts (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and Endometriosis related conditions. These herbs can have a really powerful effect for reducing endo pains, PMS symptoms (which are mood affecting) and skin related as they have a positive effect on hormonal acne around the jawline.
Womens Yoni blends:
You can use either dry or fresh plants are suggested. Also, if possible, use organic plants. Many plants you find on your spice rack are perfect. Most commonly used are
- basil (move fluids)
- rosemary (anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-microbial)
- oregano (antiseptic, antispasmodic, expectorant)
- calendula (anti-inflammatory)
- motherwort (tonifies, cramping, infections)
- mugwort (all purpose)
- marigolds (anti-inflammatory)
- Rose – cleansing and helps regulation of menstrual bleed – and its flow