Many Common Conditions That Affect The Digestive Function
In Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), the stomach is believed to be our Earth. Earth, is one of the 5 TCM elements and is associated with the Spleen and Stomach which are both in charge of digestion and distribution.
In Ayurveda the stomach and any inflammation is attributed to a weakened digestive system and the fire /’agni‘ / element Aadhmaana, and a vata imbalance
The Stomach is where we feel emotions and can lead to a weakened digestive issues resulting in inflammation, bloating, poor assimilation, constipation, diarrhoea, IBS and other stomach related imbalances.
In TCM, each organ has a specific time of day when it’s at its strongest and this is what we can be use to guide wellbeing. The time of day for the Earth and the Stomach and Spleen, are 7-9am (Stomach) and 9-11am (Spleen).
There’s a saying for how to eat at breakfast, lunch and dinner that goes like this :
Eat like a king for your breakfast, Eat like a prince/ess for lunch and
a pauper at night…
‘Common’ complaints/ diseases of the digestive system
The diagram below shows the digestive system which is made up of the gastrointestinal, (GI) tract also known as the digestive tract—and the liver, pancreas, and gallbladder.
The GI tract is a 30 feet long organ that works with a series of other organs as a tube from the mouth to the anus
There are so many ‘common’ complaints/ diseases of the digestive system that can affect and impair digestion, digestive health, absorption and assimilation. Such as
- Inguinal Hernia.
- Intestinal Pseudo-obstruction.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Lactose Intolerance.
- Microscopic Colitis.
- Ostomy Surgery of the Bowel.
- Peptic Ulcers (Stomach Ulcers)
- Gastrointestinal Reflux Disease (GERD) Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) occurs when stomach acid frequently flows back into your esophagus.
- GERD… GORD –
- GERD – known as Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD) is caused by acid reflux from the stomach leaking up into the oesophagus (gullet) and causing ‘leaky gut’ dis-ease.
- Celiac Disease. …
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) …
- Ulcerative Colitis. .
- Crohn’s disease,
- Streptococcus (GAS)- known as Strep A, is a bacteria that is commonly found on the skin or in the throat resulting in sever inflammation.
- Feacal incontinence,
- Hirschsprung disease,
- Abdominal adhesions,
- Barrett’s esophagus, Appendicitis,
- Indigestion /dyspepsia
- Intestinal pseudo-obstruction
- peptic /ulcers/gallstones
- gastritis, gastroenteritis
These conditions are all liked to the digestive system and can feel extremely uncomfortable or painful due to their complications or when the ring of muscle at the bottom of the oesophagus weakens. ( Lower oesophageal sphincter becomes weak or relaxes to cause weakness). The common cause of this is when a person regularly overeats or is obese or overweight, so the the stomach swells and puts extra pressure on the Lower oesophageal sphincter. Over time, the Lower oesophageal sphincter loses its shape and its strength, allowing acid to flow upward, causing further damage to the tissue and intestinal walls.
Eating less if you over eat will help reduce the stress on organs.
Following an alkaline diet can help reduce some symptoms. Avoiding acidic food that aggravates the condition/s.
- Peppermint tea can aid digestion..
- Chamomile tea is calming to the Central nervous system and helps relax stomach and intestinal muscles if you experience cramps or pain or feel unduly anxious. …
- Apple cider vinegar. …can aid inflammatory conditions –
- Ginger. … can manage nausea
- Fennel seed. …can help reduce bloating
- Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) … reduces inflammation and to help alkaline the stomach lining
- Lemon water. …aids digestion
These are a few things you may wish to try but does not replace having proper guidance from a practitioner like myself so that your situation can be supported holistically.
There are many ways Homeopathy can support these conditions. Given that the stomach is our earth – our stomach is what grounds us. Earth is home and our comfort, …many cultures thrive on the customs that include great food and we eat to feel better. Homeopathy is energetic medicine made from minerals, herbs and plants (Bach,baileys essences/remedies), the animal kingdom, metals and like to like treatment.
Use it to nurture and comfort you in times of need.
A bespoke plan that helps remove the obstacles and helps cure the condition can be vital for wellbeing and recovery fro nay of the conditions as they are aggravations that can be supported holistially if you wish to use safe alternative and complementary therapies.
I hope you have a better understanding Common Digestive system dis-orders and how you may with to use a holistic approach for maintaining wellbeing.
Randhiraj Bilan MCPH, LARH
For all enquiries – Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org